Saturday, March 14, 2009

Blue & Gold 2009

Each year in Cub Scouts we have a banquet celebrating the Cub Scout organization. It's a fun opportunity for the boys to decorate cakes with the dads for whatever the theme is for that year, and these cakes are entered into a contest and then become the desserts for the banquet. This year it was "American ABC's". They scratched their heads a little over this one but then the idea came to them to do the letters "USA", it's definitely American and those are letters so it worked well with the theme. There were cakes in the shape of flags, a Liberty Bell, Idaho shaped cakes, a few hamburger shaped cakes, as well as some shaped like landmarks in our country. It's amazing to see how creative some of these dads can get when they are competing with other dads.

This is our 9th Blue & Gold (you go to a lot of these when you have 4 boys!) and we have seen every theme you can think of. We have done "earth" shaped cakes, on in the shape of a wave, and many in the shapes of animals. I love to watch my boys create with their dad. This is our last year in Cub Scouts as my youngest son is about to turn 10 and at 11 they join Boy Scouts. It's a bittersweet feeling! I am excited for my youngest to join his older 3 brothers and yet it will be strange to close this chapter on Cub Scouts. We will just have to really enjoy this last year and make lots of memories, they truly grow up too fast!!

2 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

I really liked your cupcake idea (Maleah did too, she ended up eating 2 of them). I think I will be sad when my boys aren't in cubscouts anymore too. They have so much fun and the boys get so excited for things like this.

I hope your hubby found those keys.

Starnes fam said...

Ahhh..the things I have to look forward to!
Cute cupcake idea!