Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Home Science Experiment


I was outside this afternoon re-arranging the pumpkins by the front door and doing a little Halloween decorating and my eyes fell upon this movement by one of the pumpkins. I almost jumped out of my skin, but then I realized that it was a little caterpillar. I was so excited! I thought this will be a great opportunity to do a little "Home Science Experiment" with my kids. When I was a kid we were always catching caterpillars and putting them in jars and watching them turn in to butterflies. So I grabbed a mason jar, drilled some holes in the top, put some leaves and grass in the jar, and plunked in Mr. Caterpillar.
I have no idea what this species of caterpillar is (it is green like the grass so it may be hard to see in the picture, it is sitting on the grass at the bottom of the jar) and so I don't know how long we have to wait before it spins a cocoon or how long it will be before it becomes a butterfly. If anyone has some expertise on this subject and wants to pass it on, I would be thrilled. I looked on-line, but there are so many green ones I coudn't identify ours. If he actually lives and makes it to a butterfly (if the kids don't shake his brains up by looking at the jar constantly) I will post his picture when it happens. Here's to a little home science :)

2 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

Oh how fun! I bet the preschool kids will love it too!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

You are so fun. Me I would have smooshed it!!!
Good Luck!!!